Look in your ClosetLooking through your wardrobe is a great way to begin honing in on your own style. Consider the colors you tend to favor, and the shape or structure of your wardrobe…
- Do you tend to choose earth tones or bright colors?
- Do you wear a lot of patterns?
- Do you like a simple outfit with clean lines or a relaxed look with lots of layers?
- Do you prefer feminine floral patterns or things with masculine flare like a leather jacket or boyfriend blazer?
- Or do you—like me—enjoy several looks? No personality is one-dimensional, why would your style be any different?
Check out your FurnitureAnother great way to really discover your taste is to look at the design of your furniture and home décor…
- What is the structure of your couch?
- Is your bedding in the master bedroom billowed and soft or tucked tightly to create strong, clean lines?
Oh the Places you’ll Go!It’s important to also consider your favorite places to go when you’re out on the town.
- Where is your favorite place to eat?
- Does the ambiance of that café or restaurant influence your love for the place?
- Do you adore your time at the spa and wish your home reflected that soothing sensation?
- Are you keener to the electric, lively modern design of that new club you went to last week?
An environment has a huge impact on our impressions of a space—and our experience within it. Considering your favorite places will help you begin to pin point your currently unidentified tastes. Looking to friends can be extremely helpful!
- Do you have that friend whose dinner parties you always look forward to because you admire their home? Ask yourself why you like their look?
- Could their style be similar to yours?
- And don’t forget! When driving to said fabulous dinner party to look at your car—is it vintage, classic and luxurious, or sleek and contemporary? This is another sign pointing to your very own, personal style.
Say ‘Au Revoir’ to UncertaintyYou may think you don’t have your own style when it comes to choosing artwork, but it will most often reflect your taste in all the details of your life. Look around—the answer may be right in front of you. Be sure not to limit yourself! Tastes can be broad and tastes can evolve! You can like traditional AND modern! You can appreciate realistic AND abstract! And—most importantly—you can find ways to incorporate all your favorite styles within your space.
Ask for HelpIf your style still seems vague or unclear, don’t hesitate to call an interior designer or art consultant to help you. Our job is to identify your personal style and create a truly inspirational space. Keep in mind, the possibilities are truly endless!